Click here to download our application.
The Bourbon County Sheriff's Office is currently accepting applications for the position of Deputy Sheriff. This position requires graduation from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center, or from a reciprocating law enforcement training center. Benefits including, but not limited to: Health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance; KPERS retirement; paid sick leave, vacation and holidays; compensated training time. Deputies are issued: Uniforms, duty gear, weapons, body cameras, take-home vehicle and any other equipment required to perform the job. Overtime opportunities available as well.
General Employment Requirements:
- Must have a current Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Must have a level of education equivalent to four years of high school.
- Must successfully pass background investigation, and psychological exam.
- Applicant must be 21 years of age by hiring date.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
- Enforce Federal and State laws including motor vehicle laws and county resolutions.
- Perform police patrol tours of duty, protecting persons and property and preventing crime.
- Investigate all complaints assigned to her/him.
- Investigate accidents, including, diagramming the scene, taking photographs, collecting and preserving evidence, providing emergency first aid whenever necessary.
- Keep records and writes complete, accurate and concise reports.
- Direct traffic and perform law enforcement duties at special events.
Qualified applicants should download our application by clicking the link above or picking up an application at our facility located at 293 E 20th Street, Fort Scott, KS.
The Bourbon County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Bourbon County Jail is accepting applications for immediate employment for male and female corrections officers. Starting wage is $14.50. Must be able to pass a background check, no felony charges or misdemeanor violent crimes and hold a valid driver's license. Additional benefits available.
Specific Requirements - Non-Sworn Employees
Non-Sworn civilian employees (such as correctional officers) must normally meet all of the same requirements as sworn employees, with the following exceptions:
- Non-Sworn civilian employees must only be eighteen (18) years of age rather than twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Non-Sworn civilian employees are not required to submit to psychological evaluations.
*** Other potential applicant disqualifiers include, but are not limited to:
- Not possessing the minimum qualifications for the position
- Failing to be punctual in taking prescribed tests or undergoing evaluation;
- Making fraudulent statements during interview, or on any application; or
- Failing to properly complete the application in the manner prescribed.
Applications may be picked up at the Bourbon County Jail, 293 E. 20th St., Monday-Friday, 8:00-4:00, or you can click the link above to download the application. If you have any questions, you may call the Jail at 620-223-2380.